Farming Our History Shipping and Packaging

Our History

Szawlowski Potato Farms, inc. was started by a polish immigrant, John R. Szawlowski, in 1910.  The farm has weathered changing economies, new lifestyles and even the seizure of the original farm for an industrial park.  Now the largest potato grower in Massachusetts, it is headed by four grandsons of John.

The original farm was located in Northampton, the hub of the operations being the farmhouse where the four Szawlowski brothers grew up.  In 1972, the city took about 75 acres of the farm by eminent domain for an industrial park.  At the time, the Szawlowskis owned several hundred acres in the Northampton Meadows and in Hatfield.  The farm headquarters was then moved to Main Street, in Hatfield

The corporation now grows potatoes on 2,500 acres of land in Hatfield, Northampton and Whately.  Since deciding to branch out in 1989, the farm has been packaging potatoes for other growers.  The brothers had bought three packing machines that year.  During this time, one of the four brothers, Frank Szawlowski , left the fields to market and manage the business in the office-warehouse complex in Hatfield.  The other three brothers have divided their farm duties based on their own talents.  Chet is the master mechanic, John works with pesticides and adopting integrated pest-management techniques and Stanley leads the seed cutting in the spring and supervises the packing.

Packaging potatoes from other growers year round now brings in about fifty percent of the farm’s income.  The farm has sustained itself through the years on the foundation of deep devotion to farming, quality of goods and reliability.
 

To view our 100th Anniversary Video click on this link:

youtu.be/DHDRNLUL80o

 
Szawlowski Potato Farms | 103 Main St | Hatfield, MA. 01038 | Ph: (413) 247-9240 | Fax: (413) 247-3270
site construction by SiteWhirks